Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Small Business Owners: Are You Sure You're Getting Through to Your Audience?

I get upwards of 200 emails or more per day. It's critical to my time management (and sanity) that I be able to distinguish immediately who sent me the email so that I can prioritize and be efficient. So, I started thinking about all the emails I delete when it isn't clear who the sender is. That thought led me to how critical it is that senders do everything they can to get through — literally and figuratively. And it's not just email either. This also applies to every other form of communication when reaching out to your customers and prospects.

Here's what I mean:

Ambiguous Subject Lines - It's raining politics these days and I'm on several email newsletter lists of my local politicians. I got an email from a name I didn't know with a ridiculously ambiguous subject line that I immediately thought was spam. At the end of the day when I cleaning out my inbox, I realized it was from my mayor's office and it was a fundraising campaign. Not the kind of thing you want folks to delete, I replied telling them what they should be doing better. No reply, but it hasn't happened again, so maybe I got through?

Gender Discrimination - So, yeah my first name is somewhat androgynous and could be construed either male or female, but...if you KNOW me, there's no excuse. Sure, I get it that you use "software" to address mass mailings, but still. What's the point of even using a Mr or a Ms or any other gender designation? Just use Dear First Name Last Name and you'll always be 100% correct and not piss anyone off. Last week I received a letter from an organization I am a member of. They know me. I've spoken with the Director on several occasions, but still the letter came to "Mr Randye Spina." Especially funny to me is when I get a call and the other end asks to speak to Mr Spina. I always say HE isn't here. So they retract and say they're looking for Randye Spina and I say Yes, this is SHE, which always prompts a nervous, embarrassed apology/giggle on the other end. Pay attention to these small details to show you're on top of your business game.

Speaking of Politics - Another email I received asked for input from the voters, so I replied as requested with my input and it bounced back to me undeliverable. What a terrible waste of everyone's time, their marketing spend, and their reputation/credibility. Even worse is that the valuable input they sought could not received. Always be sure you test your email links before sending.

Misleading Return Addresses - You can use all the tricks you want such as handwriting font to address mass mailed envelopes, teasers, and clever design, but if all you print is a PO Box as the return address without a company name, it's getting trashed. As most of us have opted into email delivery of statements and invoices, I know it isn't a bill, so why/what are you hiding? And why would you waste all that money? And, if you have that much money, can I have some? I promise I'll put it to much better use.

Pronunciation - Can you at least TRY not to mangle my name when you cold call me? Or, get my business name so wrong that I don't even recognize what you're saying. I've heard it all and while I understand that some words are indeed difficult to pronounce, at least don't completely change the name of my business please.

If you don't get the response you'd hoped for, this could be the reason why. So, when you want someone's attention to get their business, a donation, complete a survey or just simply check in, understand that time is money, people are busy and it is your responsibility to do everything you can as the initiator of the communication to do your very best to treat your customers and prospects with respect.

©2015 Affordable Marketing Solutions LLC. All Rights Reserved.

This blog uses copyscape.com to protect against plagiarism.

No comments: